I'm very excited for the new Spin & Smash club opening in Columbus Ohio on Monday, April 17th. This full time facility features coaching, classes, open club play, Saturday night social club with live music, and a pro shop selling Samson Dubina Table Tennis Academy products as well as a full array of other top equipment. If you live in Ohio or are just passing through, check out the action in Columbus! www.SpinAndSmash.com
What is the main difference between ping pong and table tennis?
The main difference is the amount of spin produced. With the right strokes and modern equipment, an elite table tennis player can produce 8000 rpms. With a purple ping pong paddle from Wal-Mart, your Uncle Bill probably can’t produce any spin.
Modern table tennis is predominantly characterized by looping – looping backspin balls, looping topspin balls, looping serves, looping over-the-table, looping blocks, and re-looping loops. The Chinese national team did a study on various loops. The study showed that the spiniest loop against backspin tested had about 120 rotations per second. The spiniest loop against topspin tested had about 130 rotations per second.
Learn 2 Major Keys to Winning Your First Tournament!
Old, young, male, female, fat, skinny… everyone wants to perform well in their first tournament. For many players the first tournament will be a make or break event. The first tournament can spark a desire to be the best or can douse the flame of improvement. When a student of mine is preparing for his first tournament, I try to have him focus on 2 primary elements: Control and Spin.
Producing more spin is important for several reasons…
1. More spin will give you more ball control when pushing allowing you to keep your pushes shorter and sharper.
2. More spin will allow you to hit stronger loops even from a lower position.
3. More spin will allow you to hit more consistent smashes against a variety of lobbing types.
4. More spin will allow you to widen the court with angled curving serves, pushes, lobs, and loops.
5. More spin will allow you to more easily trick your opponent with varying the type and amount of spin.