Here are some rules regarding the new plastic balls....
- Plastic balls will be used at ITTF Sanctioned events from 1st July 2014
- As an exception celluloid balls will be used at the 2014 Youth Olympic Games and at four (4) ITTF Junior Circuit events taking place after 1st July 2014 but before the 2014 YOG
Here is the list of the four (4) ITTF Junior Circuit events exceptionally using celluloid balls in the period between 1st July and 15th August 2014:
- 2014 Korean Junior & Cadet Open, 23-27 July
- 2014 Hong Kong Junior & Cadet Open, 6-10 August
- 2014 Guatemala Junior & Cadet Open, 6-9 August
- 2014 El Salvador Junior & Cadet Open, 12-15 August
Here is the list of the ITTF event types where plastic balls will be used after 1st July 2014:
- World Table Tennis Championships
- World Junior Table Tennis Championships
- World Cups (Men’s, Women’s and World Team Cup)
- World Tour events including the World Tour Grand Finals
- Global Junior Circuit events including the GJC Finals – except 4 tournaments specified in 2014
- World Cadet Challenge
- ITTF-Continental Championships and ITTF-Continental Cups
- Olympic Games including qualification tournaments
- Youth Olympic Games including qualification tournaments – except 2014 YOG
All the other tournament organisers can use any ITTF approved balls, plastic or celluloid.
See attached the list of ITTF Approved balls as of 27 June 2014.
For regular updates check http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=balls on ITTF.com.