Coaching DURING the Game
Yes, you are allowed to coach your student during the game! In this short article, I want to outline the 3 basic types of coaching that can and should sometimes be done DURING THE GAME – encouragement, informative, and secretive.
Encouragement like “Come on” “This point” “Good shot” “Keep fighting” are very helpful. The type and amount of encouragement will differ greatly from player to player.
General informative coaching can be spoken out loud without fear of the opponent and/or opponent’s coach hearing. Informative coaching includes reminders like.. “Keep Moving” “Think about placement” “Remember the plan” “Take your time.” These are especially helpful for the fragile student that needs support during the game and likes getting feedback from the coach. These are a step further than just simply encouragement because these actually give advice.
In order to keep tactical advice from the opponent or opponent’s coach, this needs to be done in code language or signals or spoken while the player is getting the ball at the barriers. Without the player and coach feeling 100% comfortable with this, it can really be a huge distraction to the player. If a player and coach want to implement this, I would highly recommend using it during private lessons, group training, club play, league matches, etc… Once the system has been developed for secretive coaching, then it can be a huge assistant, especially for kids. Just remember that both the coach and player must feel comfortable with it prior to using it in important tournaments. Also, remember that the code words or signals don’t need to be used at all – when the player wins the first game and is leading 5-0 in the second game, just let him play. The signals are designed for a SPECIFIC situation, NOT every point.
Buy a robot and I'll give you FREE Lessons!
Yes, it is as simple as that! Not only do I enjoy being the content creator for Power Pong Robots, but I also love seeing players like you learning new skills and making significant progress! Together, we can get your game to the next level!
- Step 1 - Click the robot link below to make the purchase
- Step 2 - Contact me via e-mail tt@SamsonDubina.com to let me know when you want your online lessons
- Step 3 - Do online lessons with me with an eager mind to learn, work hard, and improve!
- Step 4 - Reap the benefits of the training as hundreds of others have done including Nandan Naresh, Andrew Cao, Senura Silva, and many other rising stars!
- USOPC Coach of the Year
- USATT Developmental Coach of the Year
- ITTF Level III Certified Coach
- Coach of the Pan Am Boys' Gold Medalist Team
- Team Leader at the World University Championships
- 2x USATT National Team Coach
- 4x USATT Technology Coach of the Year
Author and Inventor
- Author of the book - 100 Days of Table Tennis
- Co-Author of the book - Why Table Tennis
- Author of Over 600 Coaching Articles
- Producer of DVD - International Table Tennis Skills
- Producer of Over 1000 YouTube Coaching Videos
- Inventor of TT-Flex
- Inventor of TT-FlexPro
- Inventor of TT-Serve
- Highest Rating: 2619
- US Junior Olympic Gold Medalist
- US National Junior Boys Doubles Champion
- US National Junior Boys Singles Finalist
- US National Men's Team Member
- US Representative at the World Championships in Yokohama, Japan
- US Representative at the Final World Olympic Qualifier
- Over 30 US Open Champion
- Over 30 US National Champion
- Ohio's #1 Ranked Athlete for 19 Consecutive Years (2001-2019)
- Nandan Naresh - Highest Rating 2682
- Sid Naresh - Highest Rating 2699
- Sarah Jalli - Highest Rating 2568
- Senura Silva - Highest Rating 2621
- Andrew Cao - Highest Rating 2545
- Gabriel Perez - Highest Rating 2443
- Roger Liu - Highest Rating 2389
- Hesam Hamrahian - Highest Rating 2283