The Mystery Man
By Coach Samson Dubina
In the table tennis world, it is commonly believed that there are 3 types of players – positive, negative, and in-between.
Mr. Positive continues to strongly affirm himself throughout the match, even if he is down 8-0 or 10-2 or whatever the score, he has a high level of confidence.
Mr. Negative always believes that he could play better – it isn’t just right – the conditions are bad, draw was rigged against him, too many lucky shots from the opponent, and he can’t ever perform up to his expectations.
Mr. In-Between says that he is the best of both worlds – encouraging himself but also sees the problem areas. When people ask about his performance, he replies in a smooth wise tone of voice with a 25 min explanation about the highlights of his game and the downsides of his performance.
Each of these 3 categories have benefits and risks. These is actually a 4th category that I feel is far superior to these 3. Let me introduce you to the mystery man… aka Mr. Solutions. Mr. Solutions understands his strengths and the ways to keep implementing them. Mr. Solutions also understands the problems and adapts and fixes the problems point by point. Mr. Solutions doesn’t complain that he is making too many unforced errors, but he has an analytical mind, can realize the problems, and can adapt as the situation calls for it. Mr. Solutions has a solid game plan, realizes that adjustments need to be made, has an adaptable technique, and adjust well throughout each match.
So what is the point of this article?
The point is that everyone needs to be working towards solutions. The reality is that you may show up at the next tournament playing at 30% or 60% or 80% of your full potential. Do you just mark it off as “I’m going to have a bad tournament”? Of course not. You adapt. You realize the problems, you come back with solutions, and you develop into a strong player each and every tournament regardless of the outcome!
Buy a robot and I'll give you FREE Lessons!
Yes, it is as simple as that! Not only do I enjoy being the content creator for Power Pong Robots, but I also love seeing players like you learning new skills and making significant progress! Together, we can get your game to the next level!
- Step 1 - Click the robot link below to make the purchase
- Step 2 - Contact me via e-mail tt@SamsonDubina.com to let me know when you want your online lessons
- Step 3 - Do online lessons with me with an eager mind to learn, work hard, and improve!
- Step 4 - Reap the benefits of the training as hundreds of others have done including Nandan Naresh, Andrew Cao, Senura Silva, and many other rising stars!
- USOPC Coach of the Year
- USATT Developmental Coach of the Year
- ITTF Level III Certified Coach
- Coach of the Pan Am Boys' Gold Medalist Team
- Team Leader at the World University Championships
- 2x USATT National Team Coach
- 4x USATT Technology Coach of the Year
Author and Inventor
- Author of the book - 100 Days of Table Tennis
- Co-Author of the book - Why Table Tennis
- Author of Over 600 Coaching Articles
- Producer of DVD - International Table Tennis Skills
- Producer of Over 1000 YouTube Coaching Videos
- Inventor of TT-Flex
- Inventor of TT-FlexPro
- Inventor of TT-Serve
- Highest Rating: 2619
- US Junior Olympic Gold Medalist
- US National Junior Boys Doubles Champion
- US National Junior Boys Singles Finalist
- US National Men's Team Member
- US Representative at the World Championships in Yokohama, Japan
- US Representative at the Final World Olympic Qualifier
- Over 30 US Open Champion
- Over 30 US National Champion
- Ohio's #1 Ranked Athlete for 19 Consecutive Years (2001-2019)
- Nandan Naresh - Highest Rating 2682
- Sid Naresh - Highest Rating 2699
- Sarah Jalli - Highest Rating 2568
- Senura Silva - Highest Rating 2621
- Andrew Cao - Highest Rating 2545
- Gabriel Perez - Highest Rating 2443
- Roger Liu - Highest Rating 2389
- Hesam Hamrahian - Highest Rating 2283